Tuesday, December 20, 2005

12-19-05

I spoke to Dad on the phone on Sunday. At first he thought I was Mom and said "I'm waiting for you. Where are you? Why aren't you here yet?" So...I had to explain and then I asked where Mom was. He said she'd gone home to do some things (laundry) and he needed her back up there. He was hot. He needed ice. The nurses put a robe on him. He said, "they put this damned robe on me and that's not right."
I told him to push the nurse button and ask for some ice chips. I said "They'll bring it. They can do that. And you need to tell them what you're feeling."
(Why won't they tell the nurses and doctors what their problems are?? Why do they suffer in silence?)
I hung up the phone and called the nurse's station and told them to go take care of my father. They said they were already on the way.
My poor Mom. He's acting like he can do nothing without her. That's just too much pressure.

I spoke to Mom on Saturday. She wouldn't say much at first. Then, suddenly, 10 minutes into the conversation she says "Ok, I can talk now. The nurse finally left."
She then proceeded to tell me every detail of the past few days. None of it good. All of it trying and tiring.
And again I said "You have to tell THEM all of these things. Every detail. It is their burden. They are paid highly to listen, observe and act."
I do not understand my parents.

The latest:
From: Sister
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2005 10:17 AM
To: Me
Subject: Dad update

I just talked to mom shortly, Dad is doing fine with the radiation but they have him on some medicine (not sure for what) that has him slurring his speech and makes him drool. He's very unhappy about that and I really can't say I blame him. He had fever twice lastnight. She didn't say how high but it wasn't a good night. I didn't get to talk to her long but she did say there was a physical therapist in there which is good, he needs some movement. Love you guys!

*****
Why don't the docs check the side effects before handing out the meds? Are they giving him too much? Should they stop with all the meds?
Questions. Nothing but questions.

1 Comments:

Blogger Christa said...

As always I can't shut up :pp
Slap me Agnes if u want me to stop making comments in here...

Anyways...it's very possible that they've given your dad meds that will reduce any fluid that doesn't belong in his body and that might be what he gets the side effects from. It can also be meds that will affect the tumor from not growing too fast.
Side effects are always based on a very general view on meds and can be different from person to person. I would corner the doc and ask about it.

And the generation that our parents are in (well...mine are both dead, but u know what I mean) doesn't want to bother. Dad was like that when he had his strokes. Tip toing around the staff as if he was sorry to be a bother.
It's not easy to change.

I still hope that all of you will have a peaceful christmas and that things will turn out for the better :hugs:

7:16 AM, December 20, 2005  

Post a Comment

<< Home