Saturday, July 28, 2007

Conversations with the Dead

Hey Dad.
I got the new Windows Vista.
Yeah, it kinda sucks...not stable at all.
No, I wouldn't go out and get it, but then your pc is in good shape. Ours was on it's last leg. We're lucky it survived long enough to copy from.
Vista won't play games. That's really what we buy computers for these days, huh? It's just an expensive toy. Someday they'll just be passe. They'll just be part of the house.
Haha, I know - too many sci-fi books, huh?
Anyway, I've been trying to copy old AOL to new. Yes, we kept AOL. Brandt woulnd't know what to do if we changed. He barely uses IE. Besides, AOL has more safeguards against viruses. It's just safer (and less work for me) if he uses it.

You know what though? I miss the old stuff...like we had when we got 3.1. I miss how cool it was just to get some new screen saver or a better version of Majong. Remember when we were thrilled to have midi files? hahaha
That first version of Windows, I copied all the sound files from Monty Python and the PC made weird noises when you hit the wrong key. Remember the little dog..."yipe yipe yipe yipe". hahaha - yours still does that? HAHAHAHAHA. Too funny. I still have all that stuff on floppy.
OH - and that's another thing. There's no floppy on this new PC. No, not at all. I could add one but I don't even know if I can buy one anymore. Heck, they're probably ten bucks now. Remember when they were $50?? There's so much stuff that I had on floppy. I miss a lot of that stuff. Johnny Castaway - remember him??? I loved Johnny Castaway. I guess I could download him from the web now...but it probably wouldn't run. It crashed a lot even back then.
The best one, the one I miss most, was that screensaver...I think it was called "Lunaria". It played Moonlight Sonata. I may look for that again today. It think of you every time I hear that tune.

I know. We had lots of games on floppy back then. The games now wouldn't even fit on a floppy. What is that, 2.5k or is it meg? I don't remember.
Yeah, I broke down and bought some jump drives. I guess that was necessary. No one even writes to CDs now unless it's to make music - like "mix tapes" from the 80s. Hahaha.

I was at Frys the other day and they had "personal video phones". Remember looking at those in the store back when Windows first came out? We figured they'd be out by now - and fairly cheap. I was thinking you and I would be using them by now.
How much?
Oh about $150 each. We'd both have to have one. Be neat if the whole family had them, huh?
Well, with Skype now, who needs it?
Skype - oh, it came out this year so I guess you haven't seen it yet. It's like Yahoo kinda. It's for video calls. It's pretty good. We used it to talk to Brandt's parents in North Carolina. It works well and it's easy enough for them to use. They're in their 70s ,you know. It makes Brandt happy to see them and them us.
It has a full screen option and the graphics are pretty good.
Yeah, we bought a new web-cam to use it. We could set it up at Mom's but I doubt she'd use it. She surfs mostly and sends an e-mail or two, but that's all. You know she never really played games or anything on the PC. It's not the same for her without you.

Brandt and I want some wireless cams so we can spy on the neighbors. We can't find any. Not like you had. Maybe I should just get those since we'd never be able to set it up again on your pc so Mom could use them. We really should but they bomb sometimes and there'd be too much tech-support required. We don't get a lot of tech support anymore. It's ok. She's doing ok.

Oh they're fine. The baby is a sweetie. She isn't as cute as Riley was at that age. Maybe I just don't get enough time with her. Riley is a doll still. Why woulnd't he be? I wish you could see that blonde, curly hair. He didn't have that until after you left. Oh man, no one expected it. I don't know if he remembers you Dad but he said he saw Bubba. Isn't that odd? She was there in the house with Mom looking at Nora. It was either Bubba or Grandma. Who can be sure. Maybe it was neither. He said her name was the same as Nora's so we guessed it was Bubba.
I haven't seen you since you left. I thought maybe I would, in a dream or something, but nothing at all. Isn't that strange? I did dream of Satan the other day. He wasn't a kitty - he was a little boy. He still had that fang so I knew it was him. It was an odd dream but I was holding him and loving on him and he was happy right before I woke up. I was asking him where Mickey was.

Gosh I miss you Dad. There's so much I wish I could share with you. It sucks that this is the only way I can. I just want to call you up....
When Satan died, all I wanted in the whole world was to hear your voice. I think you sent us Dr. Biggerstaff though. She's a lot like you. She reminded me of you a lot. It helped to have her with us.

Ok Dad. I think I should go now. I really have a lot to get done today.
I'll talk to you soon, ok? I miss you something awful.
Love ya too.
Bye.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home