Friday, September 16, 2005

How to stop smoking

Both of my parents smoked when I was young.
My mother quit at 33 or so. She quit because we didn't have the money and she just decided she didn't need them. Cold turkey.
Oh, how I wish I could do the same.

My father quit a few years back. He required Wellbutrin to do it, but he was successful and has not smoked since. Go Dad!!

It is my turn. It is high time. I am obsessing about the need to stop.
Here are my reasons to quit: (aside from the obvious health issues)

#1 - $4.04/pack * 365 packs = $1474.60/26 paychecks=$56.71 per check or $122.88/month.
#2 - I hate the smell on my clothes and in my house.
#3 - Imagine the money I'll save on tooth whitening products and air fresheners.
#4 - I'm just plain tired of them.
#5 - The lungs regnerate once a person quits. I've heard that in 3 years the lungs are completely new. Oh to be rid of the cough.
#6 - I do not want my voice to change to "gravelly old woman"
#7 - I don't want to feel so tired and winded all the time.
#8 - I would like to taste food again....like it should taste.
#9 - I've been embarrassed by it more than once.
#10 - Choice of restaurants.
#11 - My muscles will ache less.
#12 - Going outside to smoke at my family's houses.
#13 - Influencing my nephews.

There are more reasons. I should make myself come up with 20 or 30.


EXCUSES why I haven't quit yet (things to overcome):
#1 - I do not have a replacement habit, and that cannot be food. And it must be something socially acceptable so I can have it anywhere.
#2 - My hubby smokes. (that's a hard one to overcome - they're too available)
#3 - Stress
#4 - Breaks at work (I need these for the stress.)
#5 - Triggers (coffee, beer, food, toothpaste, bedtime, stress, boredom)
#6 - My doc refuses to give me any type of medical assistance for this. I once thought, "Dad used Wellbutrin so I'll just go get some". Doc was all, "Nope. Too bad. Do it without assistance." What's up with that? I'm not a drug addict! SHEESH.
#7 - I will not use The Patch because I saw it kill a man.
#8 - All the other assistance substances are nasty. Tobacco gum. Ptooie. What happens if I get addicted to tobacco gum? Besides, I swallow gum. Wouldn't that be awful?!